Re: Dissecting PostgreSQL CVE-2013-1899 (blackwinghq.com) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: Dissecting PostgreSQL CVE-2013-1899 (blackwinghq.com)
Date
Re: Dissecting PostgreSQL CVE-2013-1899 (blackwinghq.com)  (Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 07:51:01AM -0700, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Comments?
>
> http://blog.blackwinghq.com/2013/04/08/2/

It is interesting how they try to combine the write ability to a web
server or postgres .profile file;  I find the .profile particularly
nasty.

Yup. It's maybe an argument for chroot'ing the server to the $PGDATA directory. I realize that's probably not reasonable for stuff like extensions right now.

Also, a related best practice is keeping track of all the files that are in home directories of privileged users with something like Puppet or Chef -- so even if an attacker *does* overwrite a file like this, automation will wipe it out.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com