Re: streaming header too small - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: streaming header too small
Date
Re: streaming header too small  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Feb 20, 2013 11:29 AM, "Heikki Linnakangas" <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> On 20.02.2013 02:11, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> So, I just ran into a similar issue backing up a 9.2.1 server using
>> pg_basebackup version 9.2.3:
>>
>> pg_basebackup: starting background WAL receiver
>> pg_basebackup: streaming header too small: 25
>>

>> I've had it happen two times in a row. I'm going to try again...
>>
>> But -- what would be helpful here? I can recompile pg_basebackup with more
>> debugging...
>

> Hmm, 25 bytes would be the size of the WAL data packet, if it contains just the header and no actual WAL data. I think pg_basebackup should accept that - it's not unreasonable that the server might send such a packet sometimes.
>
> Looking at the walsender code, it's not supposed to ever send such a packet. But I suspect there's one corner-case where it might: if the current send location is at an xlogid boundary, so that we previously sent the last byte from the last WAL segment in the previous logical xlog file, and the WAL flush position points to byte 0 in the beginning of the new WAL file. Both of those positions are in fact the same thing, but we have two different ways to represent the same position. For example, if we've already sent up to WAL position (sentPtr in walsender.c):
>
> xlogid = 4
> xrecoff = XLogFileSize
>
> and GetFlushRecPtr() returns:
>
> xlogid = 5
> xrecoff = 0
>
> Those both point to the same position. But the check in XLogSend that decides if there is any work to do uses XLByteLE() to check if they are equal, and XLByteLE() treats the latter to be greater than the former. So, in that situation, XLogSend() would decide that it has work to do, but there actually isn't, so it would send 0 bytes of WAL data.
>
> I'm not sure how GetFlushRecPtr() could return such a position, though. But I'm also not convinced that it can't happen.
>
> It would be fairly easy to fix walsender to not send anything in that situation. It would also be easy to fix pg_basebackup to not treat it as an error. We probably should do both.
>
> In 9.3, the XLogRecPtr representation changed so that there is only one value for a boundary position like that, so this is a 9.2-only issue.

Thanks for the debugging, Heikki!

That does sound like a reasonable explanation and fix. Heck, probably enough to just put the fix in pg_basebackup since it's gone in 9.3 anyway.

But I'd really like to confirm this is the actual situation before considering it fixed, since it's clearly very intermittent.

Selena, was this reasonably reproducible for you? Would it be possible to get a network trace of it to show of that's the kind of package coming across, or by hacking up pg_basebackup to print the exact position it was at when the problem occurred?

This is happening with a very busy 700 GB system, so I'm going to rule out a network trace out for the moment. The error is occurring "sometime" in the middle of the backup. Last time it was at least 30-40 minutes into a 2 hr backup.

I'll see about hacking up pg_basebackup. I'm doing nightly backups so hopefully (?) it will happen again in the next few days.

-selena