Re: streaming header too small - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: streaming header too small
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20.02.2013 17:53, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net>wrote:
>
>> Selena, was this reasonably reproducible for you? Would it be possible to
>> get a network trace of it to show of that's the kind of package coming
>> across, or by hacking up pg_basebackup to print the exact position it was
>> at when the problem occurred?
>
> This is happening with a very busy 700 GB system, so I'm going to rule out
> a network trace out for the moment. The error is occurring "sometime" in
> the middle of the backup. Last time it was at least 30-40 minutes into a 2
> hr backup.

If you could pinpoint the WAL position where the error happens, that
would already help somewhat. For starters, put pg_receivexlog to verbose
mode, so that it will print a line after each WAL segment. If my theory
is correct, the error should happen at xlogid boundaries, ie. just after
finishing a WAL segment whose filename ends with "FE".

- Heikki