Re: pg_rewind and postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: pg_rewind and postgresql.conf
Date
Re: pg_rewind and postgresql.conf  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
Currently pg_rewind copies all files including postgresql.conf. It
would be nice if pg_rewind has an option to not copy
postgresql.conf. I sometimes create multiple PostgreSQL database
clusters with different port number which postmaster is listening on
for a testing purpose. So existing postgresql.conf on the target
cluster being overwritten by pg_rewind is annoying. I believe there
are some use cases where different port numbers are used among
PostgreSQL database clusters in the real world.

Comments?

I totally agree.  Ideally, rewind would just rewind data dirs by default and provide an option to include other files as specified by the administrator.

However I ran out of time this time to do this patch and hope to submit again after 11 is finalized.

There are two other things that would really be nice to make work too (but think that's another major version away):

1.  Make pg_rewind work over the replication protocol so it doesn't require db superuser
2.  Unify, to the extent possible, the code base with pg_basebackup.

--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

--