Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: initdb issue on 64-bit Windows - (Was: [pgsql-packagers] PG 9.6beta2 tarballs are ready)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 24 June 2016 at 10:28, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>   * Launch a VS x86 command prompt
>   * devenv /debugexe bin\initdb.exe -D test
>   * Set a breakpoint in initdb.c:3557 and initdb.c:3307
>   * Run
>   * When it traps at get_restricted_token(), manually move the execution
> pointer over the setup of the restricted execution token by dragging &
> dropping the yellow instruction pointer arrow. Yes, really. Or, y'know,
> comment it out and rebuild, but I was working with a supplied binary.
>   * Continue until next breakpoint
>   * Launch process explorer and find the pid of the postgres child process
>   * Debug->attach to process, attach to the child postgres. This doesn't
> detach the parent, VS does multiprocess debugging.
>   * Continue execution
>   * vs will trap on the child when it crashes

Do you think a crash dump could have been created by creating
crashdumps/ in PGDATA as part of initdb before this query is run?

I see what you did there ;)

Yes, quite possibly, actually. I should've just got Haroon to build me a new initdb without the priv setting and with creation of crashdumps/ .

It might be worth testing that out and adding an initdb startup flag to create the directory, since initdb is such a PITA to debug.