Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2 March 2018 at 17:47, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

For instance, I used extensively tps throttling, latencies and timeouts measures when developping and testing the checkpointer sorting & throttling patch.

I have to admit, I've found tps throttling and latency measurement useful when working with logical replication. It's really handy to find a stable, sustainable throughput on master at which a replica can keep up.

PostgreSQL is about more than raw TPS. Users care about latency. Things we change affect latency. New index tricks like batching updates; sync commit changes for standby consistency, etc.

That's not a reason to throw anything and everything into pgbench. But there's value to more than measuring raw tps.

Also, I'm not the one doing the work.