Re: [HACKERS] Old versions of Test::More - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Old versions of Test::More
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 22 Apr. 2017 4:23 am, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 4/21/17 14:49, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I'll add a comment, but doing it in PostgresNode.pm would mean jacana
>> (for instance) couldn't run any of the TAP tests. I'mm looking at
>> installing a sufficiently modern Test::Simple package (includes
>> Test::More and test::Build) there, but other oldish machines could also
>> be affected.

> Or you could define note() as an empty function if it doesn't exist.

+1.  I'm really not at all happy with the prospect that every time
somebody adds a use of "note" to some new TAP test, we're going to
get a complaint later that that test no longer works on jacana.
We need to either decide that non-ancient Test::More is a hard
requirement for all the tests

That seems like a no-brainer TBH. Why are we bothering with backwards compat with ancient versions of test frameworks? It seems like a colossal waste of time for no benefit.

or fix things with a centralized
solution.  A dummy (or not so dummy?) implementation would serve
for the latter.