Re: Refactor pg_dump as a library? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Refactor pg_dump as a library?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14 April 2016 at 18:16, Jakob Egger <jakob@eggerapps.at> wrote:
Would anybody else be interested in a pg_dump library?

Yes. It comes up a lot, but so far nobody's had the time and energy to actually do the required refactoring.

I'm the developer of a PostgreSQL GUI client, and I am looking for ways to integrate pg_dump into my application. The main use case would be to get the dump of individual tables (for example, when you want to create a table similar to an existing one)

I'd find a pg_get_tabledef(...) built-in function more interesting for this particular purpose than pg_dump as a library would be. We already have pg_get_viewdef(...), pg_get_functiondef(...) etc.