Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Isaac Morland
Subject Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 at 08:07, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Most backend code doesn't actually need the variable-length data types
support (TOAST support) in postgres.h.  So I figured we could try to put
it into a separate header file.  That makes postgres.h more manageable,
and it avoids including a bunch of complicated unused stuff everywhere.
I picked "varatt.h" as the name.  Then we could either
[…]
I went with the last option in my patch.

Thoughts?

This is a bit of a bikeshed suggestion, but I'm wondering if you considered calling it toast.h? Only because the word is so distinctive within Postgres; everybody knows exactly to what it refers.

I definitely agree with the principle of organizing and splitting up the header files. Personally, I don't mind importing a bunch of headers if I'm using a bunch of subsystems so I would be OK with needing to import this new header if I need it.