PostgreSQL as a triple store - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jimmy Thrasibule
Subject PostgreSQL as a triple store
Date
Re: PostgreSQL as a triple store  (Jonas Xie <jonas@jxie.de>)
Re: PostgreSQL as a triple store  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL as a triple store  (Seref Arikan <serefarikan@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm looking into gathering information about geographical locations:

- Coordinates
- Place name
- Pictures
- etc.

Since a place can be anything, a specific place may  need any kind of data type to be described.

I'm therefore looking into using the same method as the semantic Web and trying to describe a place with triples.

1. The "triples" table will reference a subject, attribute and value.
2. The "attributes" table will have an attribute name, a type and mauve a table name.
3. For each attribute type, a new table is created to store the values.
4. A "resources" table list all the available resources (location, picture, ...).

Using this, I can easily add a new resource and describe it by adding new triples. Every item is identified using UUIDs as primary key.

This seems too simple to be true so I falling back to you in case you see any pitfalls here.

The "triples" table will grow very fast in this setup and may become a bottleneck. However, I don't see any other way to store information about something as wide as places around the world.

Regards,
Jimmy