9.3 Beta1 status report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject 9.3 Beta1 status report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

I am not sure if Tom shared yet, but we are planning to package 9.3
beta1 on April 29, with a release on May 2. Those dates might change,
but that is the current plan. I have completed a draft 9.3 release
notes, which you can view here:
http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-3.html
I will be working on polishing them for the next ten days, so any
feedback, patches, or commits are welcome. I still need to add lots of
SGML markup.

Some suggestions, perhaps just based on my preference for verbosity:

       <para>
        Add cache of local locks (Jeff Janes)
       </para>

       <para>
        This speeds lock release at statement completion in transactions
        that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump.
       </para>

I think this is equally important for restoration of dumps, if the restoration is run all in one transaction.  (Making the dump and restoring it have similar locking and unlocking patterns)

       <para>
        Split pgstat file in per-database and global files (Tomas Vondra)
       </para>

       <para>
        This reduces the statistics management read and write overhead.
       </para>

Should be "split pgstat file into", not "split pgstat file in"

Also, should it mention that the overhead reduction is particular to when a cluster has a large number of databases?

Cheers,

Jeff