Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May  2, 2013 at 03:03:58PM -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Some suggestions, perhaps just based on my preference for verbosity:
>

>        <para>
>         Add cache of local locks (Jeff Janes)
>        </para>
>
>        <para>
>         This speeds lock release at statement completion in transactions
>         that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump.
>        </para>
>

> I think this is equally important for restoration of dumps, if the restoration
> is run all in one transaction.  (Making the dump and restoring it have similar
> locking and unlocking patterns)

Do you have proposed wording?  I can't say just dump/restore as it only
helps with _logical_ dump and _logical_ restore, and we don't have a
clear word for logical restore, as it could be pg_restore or piped into
psql.  We could do:
       that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump and restore.

but "restore" seems very vague.

>        <para>
>         Split pgstat file in per-database and global files (Tomas Vondra)
>        </para>
>
>        <para>
>         This reduces the statistics management read and write overhead.
>        </para>
>

> Should be "split pgstat file into", not "split pgstat file in"

That one was easy, fixed.

> Also, should it mention that the overhead reduction is particular to when a
> cluster has a large number of databases?

Well, if you have just two databases with many tables, it still helps.

http://enterprisedb.com