Re: Re: BUG #7748: "drop owned by" fails with error message: "unrecognized object class: 1262" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Re: BUG #7748: "drop owned by" fails with error message: "unrecognized object class: 1262"
Date
Re: Re: BUG #7748: "drop owned by" fails with error message: "unrecognized object class: 1262"
List pgsql-bugs
On Sunday, December 9, 2012, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > spam_eater@gmx.net <javascript:;> writes:
> > > postgres=# create user testuser with password 'secret';
> > > CREATE ROLE
> > > postgres=# create database testdb owner testuser;
> > > CREATE DATABASE
> > > testdb=> drop owned by testuser;
> > > ERROR:  unrecognized object class: 1262
> >
> > I can reproduce this in all versions back to 8.3.  In 8.2, the role's
> > ownership of the database is silently ignored, which I think was the
> > design intention.  I doubt that we want DROP OWNED dropping whole
> > databases.  At most maybe we should raise a NOTICE?
>
> I broke it recently: fe3b5eb08
>
> Got a one day old guy at home, can't look at this for at least a
> week, sorry.

Since back-branch releases are coming up, I think fe3b5eb08 and it's
analogues in all branches should be reverted.

The issue it was intended to solve was not really a bug in the first place,
and this patch didn't solve it anyway. But it introduced new behavior (into
all supported branches) which certainly is a bug.

I don't think the original issue it was intended to solve can be solved
easily, either. It would be easy to fix the code to add table-spaces to the
list of things to be reassigned, but the code that does the actual
reassignment can't deal with table-spaces anyway.

Cheers,

Jeff