Re: BUG #7836: COPY command does not honor 'FORMAT' option - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: BUG #7836: COPY command does not honor 'FORMAT' option
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 06:20:05PM +0000, kurt.lidl@cello.com wrote:
>> template1=# copy pg_aggregate to '/tmp/agg.bin' with format binary;
>
> correct syntax:
>
> copy pg_aggregate to '/tmp/agg.bin' with (format 'binary');

I was just about to call this confirmed before seeing your email.

I figured out the need for the parenthesis by reading the docs.  The
need to also quote 'binary' really took me by surprise, especially as
the other two formats don't need to be quoted.  I assume the reason
for this is the level of reservedness of the various words in bison.
But is this a doc bug?  Should <literal>binary</literal> be shown
quoted if it needs to be used quote?  Or at least maybe the Example
section could include an example of the use of FORMAT.

Cheers,

Jeff