Re: BUG #7836: COPY command does not honor 'FORMAT' option - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #7836: COPY command does not honor 'FORMAT' option
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> I figured out the need for the parenthesis by reading the docs.  The
> need to also quote 'binary' really took me by surprise, especially as
> the other two formats don't need to be quoted.  I assume the reason
> for this is the level of reservedness of the various words in bison.

Yeah, BINARY is a type_func_name_keyword and hence not covered by the
copy_generic_opt_arg production.

> But is this a doc bug?  Should <literal>binary</literal> be shown
> quoted if it needs to be used quote?  Or at least maybe the Example
> section could include an example of the use of FORMAT.

Probably better to see if we can fix the grammar instead of documenting
a klugy workaround.  I'm not sure we can easily allow fully-reserved
words there, but type_func_name_keyword might work.

            regards, tom lane