Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've finally doubled up RAM to 32 GB for my Quad core
> CentOS 6.3 server and have changed postgresql.conf to
>
>    max_connections = 100
>    shared_buffers = 4096MB
>   work_mem = 16M
>
> But don't see any speed improvement and also 27 GB of
> memory aren't used.... Please see more info + vmstat at

Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve, or is this more a
curiosity-driven exercise?

Your server was not suffering from shortage of RAM to start out, so
adding more would not be expected to improve performance.

> http://serverfault.com/questions/433281/doubled-up-ram-to-32-gb-now-how-to-speed-up-a-lapp-server

If you expand the "COMMAND" field of the "top" display (by hitting "c"
on my linux), you can probably see what the top "postmaster" process
is doing.

Anyway, it looks like your server is mostly bored.  If there is a
specific performance problem, it might be in the client side, or
network latency.

Cheers,

Jeff