Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/29/12 11:43 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>> >http://serverfault.com/questions/433281/doubled-up-ram-to-32-gb-now-how-to-speed-up-a-lapp-server
> If you expand the "COMMAND" field of the "top" display (by hitting "c"
> on my linux), you can probably see what the top "postmaster" process
> is doing.
>
> Anyway, it looks like your server is mostly bored.  If there is a
> specific performance problem, it might be in the client side, or
> network latency.

assuming the PP stands for PHP + Postgres, another likely candidate for
performance issues is PHP opening (and closing) a new connection for
each page.   use pgbouncer as a connection pool and watch things speed
up considerably.