Re: HBA files w/include support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: HBA files w/include support?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday, February 16, 2014, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
On 2/14/14, 1:06 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us <mailto:bruce@momjian.us>> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 03:28:23AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
     > Bruce,

     > Having @include and directory.d-style capabilities for pg_hba.conf *and*
     > pg_ident.conf would make managing larger environments much better.
     > There has been some talk about providing those capabilities via tables
     > in the catalog, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it and it'd
     > certainly be quite a bit more work than adding include/dir.d options.

    Do we want a TODO for this?

If we are assembling a wish-list, I've often wanted the opposite of an include.  I want the ability to encapsulate the contents of pg_hba.conf directly into postgresql.conf.  So instead of giving a filename to hba_file, optionally give a multi-lined string with some kind of here-doc like mechanism, or something like that.

When I set up a forked dev environment and then eventually want to compare the diverged dev setup back to production, I often forget to compare the pg_hba.conf file.

So is this just to avoid having to diff 2 files instead of one?

It is not so much doing two diffs, as remembering to do two diffs, that I would like to avoid.  pg_hba.conf is very easy to forget about.  I guess if I spent more time worrying about it, then that is the one I would remember and postgresql.conf is the one I'd forget.

Cheers,

Jeff