Re: HBA files w/include support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: HBA files w/include support?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/14/14, 1:06 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us <mailto:bruce@momjian.us>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 03:28:23AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>      > Bruce,
>
>      > Having @include and directory.d-style capabilities for pg_hba.conf *and*
>      > pg_ident.conf would make managing larger environments much better.
>      > There has been some talk about providing those capabilities via tables
>      > in the catalog, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it and it'd
>      > certainly be quite a bit more work than adding include/dir.d options.
>
>     Do we want a TODO for this?
>

> If we are assembling a wish-list, I've often wanted the opposite of an include.  I want the ability to encapsulate
thecontents of pg_hba.conf directly into postgresql.conf.  So instead of giving a filename to hba_file, optionally give
amulti-lined string with some kind of here-doc like mechanism, or something like that.

> When I set up a forked dev environment and then eventually want to compare the diverged dev setup back to production,
Ioften forget to compare the pg_hba.conf file.

So is this just to avoid having to diff 2 files instead of one?

On it's face, I'm not seeing the value of putting pg_hba.conf inside postgresql.conf... what am I missing?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net