Re: "make check" and pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: "make check" and pg_hba.conf
Date
Re: "make check" and pg_hba.conf  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Is there a way to get "make check" to install a custom pg_hba.conf for its
> temporary installation? Something like pre-prending the line:
> local  all  password_user  md5
> To the default pg_hba.conf?

No.  Why would you want that?  External connections to the test DB seem
like exactly what you *don't* want, for reproducibility's sake.

I would want to do that so that the code dealing with password-based logins doesn't go completely untested by "make check", like it currently is.

I don't see how connecting to an obscure unix socket with a password is more "external" than connecting to the same obscure linux socket without a password.

Cheers,

Jeff