Re: pgpgout/s without swapping--what does it mean? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: pgpgout/s without swapping--what does it mean?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, March 17, 2014, Kevin Goess <kgoess@bepress.com> wrote:
We had a big increase in load, iowait, and disk i/o on a dedicated database host the other night.

Looking at the sar logs, the problem shows itself in a big increase in pgpgout/s, which I believe is postgres paging out parts of itself to disk?

02:15:01 AM  pgpgin/s pgpgout/s   fault/s  majflt/s  pgfree/s pgscank/s pgscand/s pgsteal/s    %vmeff

However, there isn't a corresponding increase in pages *in*, so if postgres is writing portions of itself out to disk, they can't be very important.

As far as I can tell, pgpgout/s includes all data written to disk, not just process memory being paged.  So it includes WAL and data files being written, for example due to bulk loads.  Seems like a odd name for that parameter, and I don't know how it differs from bwrtn/s, other than the different units.

If it is a bulk load, that would explain why it is not being read back in.  Also, it could be that the data is needed, but when it is needed it is still in cache and so doesn't lead to disk reads.  But it still needs to be written for durability reasons.

Cheers,

Jeff