Re: Compile error while building postgresql 10.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Terry Phelps
Subject Re: Compile error while building postgresql 10.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I put that include from /usr/local/include because 'configure' wasn't finding readline.h (I think). I'll look into this.

Thanks again for the help.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Terry Phelps <tgphelps50@gmail.com> writes:
> Thank you for your help. That resolved the problem. My bad.
> The build ran much further and then got another error, which I'll mention
> here, and go research it, since it could be just my bleeding edge source
> code.

> cc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement
> -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security
> -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -Wno-unused-command-line-argument
> -I/usr/local/include -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE
> -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -fPIC -DPIC -I../include
> -I../../../../src/interfaces/ecpg/include -DFRONTEND
> -I../../../../src/include   -DSO_MAJOR_VERSION=3  -c -o datetime.o
> datetime.c
> datetime.c:332:1: error: conflicting types for 'PGTYPESdate_defmt_asc'
> PGTYPESdate_defmt_asc(date * d, const char *fmt, const char *str)
> ^
> /usr/local/include/pgtypes_date.h:24:12: note: previous declaration is here
> extern int      PGTYPESdate_defmt_asc(date *, const char *, char *);
>                 ^
> 1 error generated.

It looks like you've got -I/usr/local/include in front of the build's
own -I switches, and that's allowing it to pull in back-version copies
of PG-related include files instead of the ones in the source tree.

I'm not totally sure, but if you inject -I/usr/local/include through
CPPFLAGS not CFLAGS, configure might do the right thing automatically.
Otherwise, you could manually edit CPPFLAGS in src/Makefile.global
after configuring to get the right -I order.