Re: Process initialization labyrinth - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Palmiotto
Subject Re: Process initialization labyrinth
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-04-02 10:18:20 -0400, Mike Palmiotto wrote:
> > I can't really speak to the initial points directly relating to
> > pgstat/shmem, but for the overall maze-like nature of the startup
> > code: is there any chance the startup centralization patchset would be
> > of any help here?
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAMN686FE0OdZKp9YPO=htC6LnA6aW4r-+jq=3Q5RAoFQgW8EtA@mail.gmail.com
>
> I think parts of it could help, at least. It doesn't really do much
> about centralizing / de-mazing the actual initialization of sub-systems,
> but it'd make it a bit easier to do so.

The patchset needs some work, no doubt. If you think it'd be useful, I
can spend some of my free time addressing any gaps in the design. I'd
hate to see that code go to waste, as I think it may have been a
reasonable first step.

Also not opposed to you taking the patchset and running with it if you prefer.

Thanks,
--
Mike Palmiotto
https://crunchydata.com