Is it possible to "pip" pg_dump output into new db ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Foerster
Subject Is it possible to "pip" pg_dump output into new db ?
Date
Re: Is it possible to "pip" pg_dump output into new db ?  (Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

we are currently in the process of upgrading a production/live 1 TB database from 9.2 to 9.3 via pg_dump, which is quite a lengthy process.

Fortunately we have a capable spare-server so we can restore into a clean, freshly setup machine.

I just wondered wether the intermediate step of writing the dump-file and re-reading it to have it written to the database is really necessary. Is there any way to "pipe" the dump-file directly into the new database-process or would such functionality make sense ?

I can only speak for us, but each time we do a dump/restore we need to extract/copy/move very large files and piping directly into something like psql/pg_restore on another machine etc. would greatly reduce upgrade-time/pain.

Thanks and best regards,

Frank