Re: [HACKERS] Speedup twophase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikhil Sontakke
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Speedup twophase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi David and Michael,

It would be great to get this thread closed out after 14 months and many
commits.

PFA, latest patch which addresses Michael's comments.

twophase.c: In function ‘PrepareRedoAdd’:
twophase.c:2539:20: warning: variable ‘gxact’ set but not used
[-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  GlobalTransaction gxact;
There is a warning at compilation.

Fixed.

The comment at the top of PrescanPreparedTransactions() needs to be
updated. Not only does this routine look for the contents of
pg_twophase, but it does also look at the shared memory contents, at
least those ones marked with inredo and not on_disk.

Changed comments at top of PrescanPreparedTransactions() , StandbyRecoverPreparedTransactions(), and RecoverPreparedTransactions().

+           ereport(WARNING,
+                   (errmsg("removing future two-phase state data from
memory \"%u\"",
+                           xid)));
+           PrepareRedoRemove(xid);
+           continue
Those are not normal (partially because unlink is atomic, but not
durable)... But they match the correct coding pattern regarding
incorrect 2PC entries... I'd really like to see those switched to a
FATAL with unlink() made durable for those calls.

Hmm, not sure what exactly we need to do here. If you look at the prior checks, there we already skip on-disk entries. So, typically, the entries that we encounter here will be in shmem only.

+       /* Deconstruct header */
+       hdr = (TwoPhaseFileHeader *) buf;
+       Assert(TransactionIdEquals(hdr->xid, xid));
+
+       if (TransactionIdPrecedes(xid, result))
+           result = xid;
This portion is repeated three times and could be easily refactored.
You could just have a routine that returns the oldes transaction ID
used, and ignore the result for StandbyRecoverPreparedTransactions()
by casting a (void) to let any kind of static analyzer understand that
we don't care about the result for example. Handling for subxids is
necessary as well depending on the code path. Spliting things into a
could of sub-routines may be more readable as well. There are really a
couple of small parts that can be gathered and strengthened.

Have added a new function to do this now. It reads either from disk or shared memory and produces error/log messages accordingly as well now.

+       /*
+        * Recreate its GXACT and dummy PGPROC
+        */
+       gxactnew = MarkAsPreparing(xid, gid,
+                               hdr->prepared_at,
+                               hdr->owner, hdr->database,
+                               gxact->prepare_start_lsn,
+                               gxact->prepare_end_lsn);
MarkAsPreparing() does not need to be extended with two new arguments.
RecoverPreparedTransactions() is used only at the end of recovery,
where it is not necessary to look at the 2PC state files from the
records. In this code path inredo is also set to false :)

That's not true. We will have entries with inredo set at the end of recovery as well. Infact the MarkAsPreparing() call from RecoverPreparedTransactions() is the one which will remove these inredo entries and convert them into regular entries. We have optimized the recovery code path as well.

+           /* Delete TwoPhaseState gxact entry and/or 2PC file. */
+           PrepareRedoRemove(parsed.twophase_xid);
Both things should not be present, no? If the file is pushed to disk
it means that the checkpoint horizon has already moved.

PREPARE in redo, followed by a checkpoint, followed by a COMMIT/ROLLBACK. We can have both the bits set in this case.

-           ereport(ERROR,
+           /* It's ok to find an entry in the redo/recovery case */
+           if (!gxact->inredo)
+               ereport(ERROR,
                    (errcode(ERRCODE_DUPLICATE_OBJECT),
                     errmsg("transaction identifier \"%s\" is already in use",
                            gid)));
+           else
+           {
+               found = true;
+               break;
I would not have thought so.

Since we are using the TwoPhaseState structure to track redo entries, at end of recovery, we will find existing entries. Please see my comments above for RecoverPreparedTransactions()

MarkAsPreparing and MarkAsPreparingInRedo really share the same code.
What if the setup of the dummy PGPROC entry is made conditional?

I realized that MarkAsPreparingInRedo() does not need to do all the sanity checking since it's going to be invoked during redo and everything that comes in is kosher already. So its contents are much simplified in this latest patch.

Tests pass with this latest patch.

Regards,
Nikhils
Attachment