Re: Some thoughts on table inheritance (which is uniquely awesome on PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: Some thoughts on table inheritance (which is uniquely awesome on PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 24 August 2012 11:44, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I have found looking through Oracle and DB2 docs is that
> their table inheritance seems to have all the same problems as ours
> and their solutions to these problems seem rather.... broken from a
> pure relational perspective.

I can second that. Additionally, some vendors tried to fix
partitioning (which uses table inheritance) issues by creating all
sort of extension like CREATE TABLE ... PARTITION BY, and ALTER TABLE
... ALTER PARTITION ... which create all sorts of issues which are not
documented at all but you get response like "yes, we know about this
bug; fix not yet available".

Many people asked for "SQL wrappers" for table partitioning but that's
not easy to do. I would be happy to have out of the box "auto-routing"
for insert/update/copy statements

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)