Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am not opposed to moving the contrib code into core in the manner
that you oppose. I don't feel strongly either way.

I noticed in passing that your revision says this *within* levenshtein.c:

+ * Guaranteed to work with Name datatype's cstrings.
+ * For full details see levenshtein.c.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patch 2 is a rebase of the feature of Peter that can be applied on top of
> patch 1. The code is rather untouched (haven't much played with Peter's
> thingies), well-commented, but I think that this needs more work,
> particularly when a query has a single RTE like in this case where no hints
> are proposed to the user (mentioned upthread):

The only source of disagreement that I am aware of at this point is
the question of whether or not we should accept two candidates from
the same RTE. I lean slightly towards "no", as already explained [1]
[2], but it's not as if I feel that strongly either way - this
approach of looking for only a single best candidate per RTE taken in
deference to the concerns of others.

I imagined that when a committer picked this up, an executive decision
would be made one way or the other. I am quite willing to revise the
patch to alter this behavior at the request of a committer.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZTrm4PmqMmL9=eYx-8f-Vx-ha7DmE4KOmS2vCOMOzGHrw@mail.gmail.com
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZS6kiQEqJz4pV3Fkp6cgw1wS26exOQTjb_XMW3zE5b6mA@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan