Re: Generalizing SortSupport for text to work with char(n), bytea, and alternative opclasses - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Generalizing SortSupport for text to work with char(n), bytea, and alternative opclasses
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> * bytea default opclass. This is a type that, like the others, shares
> its representation with text (a varlena header and some data bytes --
> a string, essentially). Its comparator already behaves identically to
> that of the text comparator when the "C" collation is used. I've
> actually seen a specific request for this [1].

I probably should have given an explanation for why it's okay that NUL
bytes can exist in strings from the point of view of the generalized
SortSupport for text worker function. The next revision will have
comments along those lines.

--
Peter Geoghegan