Re: Parallel Seq Scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bert
Subject Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date
Re: Parallel Seq Scan  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hey,

I've just pulled and compiled the new code.
I'm running a TPC-DS like test on different PostgreSQL installations, but running (max) 12queries in parallel on a server with 12cores.
I've configured max_parallel_degree to 2, and I get messages that backend processes crash.
I am running the same test now with 6queries in parallel, and parallel degree to 2, and they seem to work. for now. :)

This is the output I get in /var/log/messages
Nov 16 20:40:05 woludwha02 kernel: postgres[22918]: segfault at 7fa3437bf104 ip 0000000000490b56 sp 00007ffdf2f083a0 error 6 in postgres[400000+5b5000]

Is there something else I should get?

cheers,
Bert

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've committed most of this, except for some planner bits that I
>> > didn't like, and after a bunch of cleanup.  Instead, I committed the
>> > consider-parallel-v2.patch with some additional planner bits to make
>> > up for the ones I removed from your patch.  So, now we have parallel
>> > sequential scan!
>>
>> Pretty cool.  All I had to do is mark my slow plperl functions as
>> being parallel safe, and bang, parallel execution of them for seq
>> scans.
>>
>> But, there does seem to be a memory leak.
>>

> Thanks for the report.
>
> I think main reason of the leak in workers seems to be due the reason
> that one of the buffer used while sending tuples (in function
> BuildRemapInfo)
> from worker to master is not getting freed and it is allocated for each
> tuple worker sends back to master.  I couldn't find use of such a buffer,
> so I think we can avoid the allocation of same or atleast we need to free
> it.  Attached patch remove_unused_buf_allocation_v1.patch should fix the
> issue.

Thanks, that patch (as committed) has fixed the problem for me.  I
don't understand the second one.

Cheers,

Jeff