Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>> I don't find that very reassuring.
>
> Obviously, we have to try it, and that will decide it.

I don't think that's obvious at all. Anyone is free to spend their
time however they please, but personally I don't think that that's a
wise use of anyone's time.

> contrib/ is considered a secondary set of features; I routinely get pushback from clients about using hstore because
it'snot in core, and they are thus suspicious of it.  The educational project required to change that far exceeds any
technicalwork we are talking about here..  There's a very large presentational difference between having a feature in
contrib/and in core, at the minimum, setting aside the technical issues (such as the extensions-calling-extensions
problem).

There are no technical issues of any real consequence in this specific instance.

> We have an existence proof of this already: if there was absolutely no difference between having things being in
contrib/and being in core, full text search would still be in contrib/.

I never said there was no difference, and whatever difference exists
varies considerably, as Heikki points out. I myself want to move
pg_stat_statements to core, for example, for exactly one very specific
reason: so that I can reserve a small amount of shared memory by
default so that it can be enabled without a restart at short notice.

>> You are basically suggesting putting all of hstore in core, because
>> jsonb and hstore are approximately the same thing. That seem quite a
>> bit more controversial than putting everything in the hstore
>> extension.
>
> Well, "controversy" is just a way of saying there are people who don't like the idea, and I get that.  But I don't
seethe basis for the dislike.

Yes, people who have the ability to block the feature entirely. I am
attempting to build consensus by reaching a compromise that weighs
everyone's concerns.

--
Peter Geoghegan