Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/28/2014 09:02 AM, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> contrib/ is considered a secondary set of features; I routinely get pushback from clients about using hstore because
it'snot in core, and they are thus suspicious of it.  The educational project required to change that far exceeds any
technicalwork we are talking about here..  There's a very large presentational difference between having a feature in
contrib/and in core, at the minimum, setting aside the technical issues (such as the extensions-calling-extensions
problem).

> We have an existence proof of this already: if there was absolutely no difference between having things being in
contrib/and being in core, full text search would still be in contrib/.

Although presentation was probably the main motivation for moving
full-text search into core, there was good technical reasons for that
too. Full-text search in contrib had a bunch of catalog-like tables to
store the dictionaries etc, and cumbersome functions to manipulate them.
When it was moved into core, we created new SQL commands for that stuff,
which is much clearer. The json doesn't have that; it would be well
suited to be an extension from technical point of view.

(This is not an opinion statement on what I think we should do. I
haven't been following the discussion, so I'm going to just whine
afterwards ;-) )

- Heikki