Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also not sure it won't come up again.  There are certainly other
> text-like datatypes out there that might want to optimize sorts; e.g.
> citext.

Fair enough. Actually, come to think of it I find BpChar/character(n)
a far more likely candidate. I've personally never used the SQL
standard character(n) type, which is why I didn't think of it until
now. TPC-H does make use of character(n) though, and that might be a
good reason in and of itself to care about its sorting performance.

--
Peter Geoghegan