Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb concatenate operator's semantics seem questionable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Having trouble scanning this. Since hstore isn't nested what the heck does
> "nested assignment" mean w.r.t. hstore?

It means assigning to one "subdatum" in the hstore datum, as opposed
to simply assigning an entirely new hstore (granted, that's what
you're actually doing with the nested assignment, but conceptually
you're assigning to a "subdatum" when using the "hstore ||" idiom that
the hstore docs prominently talk about).

> In any case, it seems clear from other posters that your perceptions and
> expectations are not universally held.

I think that my expectations are pretty widely held. People want to be
able to assign to nested elements of a jsonb. Unfortunately, this
doesn't get them any closer, because many layers of nesting are normal
with jsonb. Let's be clear on that.
--
Peter Geoghegan