Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date
Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> So you're suggesting that instead of storing the aggregates as we
> currently do, we store a buffer of the last N queries (in normal form)
> and their stats?  And then aggregate when the user asks for it?

No, I'm not. I'm suggesting storing the query texts externally, in a
file. They usually use 1024 bytes of shared memory per entry,
regardless of how long the query text is. This would allow
pg_stat_statements to store arbitrarily large query texts, while also
giving us breathing room if we have ambitions around expanding what
pg_stat_statements can (optionally) track.

Having said that, I am still pretty sensitive to bloating pg_stat_statements.

--
Peter Geoghegan