Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date
Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/23/2013 01:26 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> So fixing that problem would go a long
> way towards resolving these concerns. It would also probably have the
> benefit of making it possible for query texts to be arbitrarily long -
> we'd be storing them in files (with a shared memory buffer). I get a
> lot of complaints about the truncation of query texts in
> pg_stat_statements, so I think that'd be really valuable. It would
> make far higher pg_stat_statements.max values practical to boot, by
> radically reducing the amount of shared memory required.
>
> All of this might be a bit tricky, but I suspect it's well worth it.

So you're suggesting that instead of storing the aggregates as we
currently do, we store a buffer of the last N queries (in normal form)
and their stats?  And then aggregate when the user asks for it?

That would be nice, and IMHO the only way we can really resolve all of
these stats concerns.  Any approach we take using histograms etc. is
going to leave out some stat someone needs.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.