Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on this review from a month ago, I'm going to mark this Waiting
> on Author.  If nobody updates the patch in a few days, I'll mark it
> Returned with Feedback.  Thanks.

Attached revision fixes the compiler warning that Heikki complained
about. I maintain SQL-callable stub functions from within contrib,
rather than follow Michael's approach. In other words, very little has
changed from my revision from July last [1].

Reminder: I maintain a slight preference for only offering one
suggestion per relation RTE, which is what this revision does (so no
change there). If a committer who picks this up wants me to alter
that, I don't mind doing so; since only Michael spoke up on this, I've
kept things my way.

This is not a completion mechanism; it is supposed to work on
*complete* column references with slight misspellings (e.g. incorrect
use of plurals, or column references with an omitted underscore
character). Weighing Tom's concerns about suggestions that are of
absolute low quality is what makes me conclude that this is the thing
to do.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZTzQO=OY4jmfB-65ieFie8iHUkDErK-0oLJETm8dSrSpw@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan