Re: BUG #17932: Cannot select big bytea values(>500MB) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From duc hiep ha
Subject Re: BUG #17932: Cannot select big bytea values(>500MB)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello John Naylor,

Thank you very much for your support. After setting the "bytea_output" to "escape" and increasing the Java heap size of DBeaver (to 8GB), I can now see the big column (bytea > 500MB). I am still in the testing phase and haven't finished yet, but I wonder if clients with small RAM will be able to select these big columns or if bytea_output=escape will be visible in the application. Could you please explain this to me in more detail?

Thanks

Vào Th 3, 16 thg 5, 2023 vào lúc 08:58 John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> đã viết:
On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 5:21 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> I created a big bytea value and try to select it from a table, I get
> an error, something like: "ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size
> ...".
> it means i can insert data into table but then i can't even work
> with it. is it a bug? could you please help me to solve this Problem.
> Thank you very much for your support

This is a known (but not documented as far as I know) issue, but it also depends on the data contents and how the value is retrieved. Possible workarounds:

1. If the data is largely printable ASCII, then try
setting "bytea_output" to "escape":

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-BYTEA-OUTPUT

2. Request binary transmission in your application (if possible), for example "show_binary_results" in

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/libpq-example.html

3. COPY out using binary format

--
John Naylor