Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Skip temporary table schema name from explain-verbose output.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail
> Make sense, we would lose the ability to differentiate temporary
> tables from the auto_explain logs.

There's no useful differentiation that can be done with the temp
schema name. They're assigned on connection start randomly from the
pool of temp schemas. The names you find in the log won't be useful
and as new connections are made the same schema names will be reused
for different connections.

I would say it makes sense to remove them -- except perhaps it makes
it harder to parse explain output. If explain verbose always includes
the schema then it's easier for a parser to make sense of the explain
plan output without having to be prepared to sometimes see a schema
and sometimes not. That's probably a pretty hypothetical concern
however since all the explain plan parsers that actually exist are
prepared to deal with non-verbose plans anyways. And we have actual
machine-readable formats too anyways.

--
greg