Re: client backwards compatible with older servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vijaykumar Jain
Subject Re: client backwards compatible with older servers
Date
List pgsql-general
I am not sure which postgresql client is being referred to.
If it is psql command line then from the notes section of the docs below says

psql works best with servers of the same or an older major version. Backslash commands are particularly likely to fail if the server is of a newer version than psql itself. However, backslash commands of the \d family should work with servers of versions back to 7.4, though not necessarily with servers newer than psql itself. The general functionality of running SQL commands and displaying query results should also work with servers of a newer major version, but this cannot be guaranteed in all cases.

If you want to use psql to connect to several servers of different major versions, it is recommended that you use the newest version of psql. Alternatively, you can keep around a copy of psql from each major version and be sure to use the version that matches the respective server. But in practice, this additional complication should not be necessary.

If it is language specific clients, I guess you may have to talk to the maintainers of those libraries/ clients.

Thanks,
Vijay