Dynamic sql real examples - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriel Filipiak
Subject Dynamic sql real examples
Date
Re: Dynamic sql real examples  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I have lately learned what is dynamic sql and one of the most interesting features of it to me is that we can use dynamic columns names and tables. But I cannot think about useful real life examples. The only one that came into my mind is statistical table.

Let`s say that we have table with name, type and created_data. Then we want to have a table that in columns are years from created_data column and in row type and number of names created in years. (sorry for my English)

What can be other useful real life examples of using dynamic sql with column and table as parameters? How do you use it?

I am particulary interested in examples that do not contain administrative things or database convertion or something like that, I am looking for examples where the code in example java is more complicated than using a dynamic sql in for example stored procedure.

Thanks for any suggestions and help :) regards Gabe