Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 5:25 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:42:54AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > After an off-list discussion with Andreas, proposing here a patch that
> > basically replaces ReadDir call with ReadDirExtended and gets rid of
> > lstat entirely. With this chance, the checkpoint will only care about
> > the snapshot and mapping files and not fail if it finds other files in
> > the directories. Removing lstat enables us to make things faster as we
> > avoid a bunch of extra system calls - one lstat call per each mapping
> > or snapshot file.
>
> I think removing the lstat() is probably reasonable.  We currently aren't
> doing proper error checking, and the chances of a non-regular file matching
> the prefix are likely pretty low.  In the worst case, we'll LOG or ERROR
> when unlinking or fsyncing fails.
>
> However, I'm not sure about the change to ReadDirExtended().  That might be
> okay for CheckPointSnapBuild(), which is just trying to remove old files,
> but CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap() is responsible for ensuring that files
> are flushed to disk for the checkpoint.  If we stop reading the directory
> after an error and let the checkpoint continue, isn't it possible that some
> mappings files won't be persisted to disk?

Unless I mis-read your above statement, with LOG level in
ReadDirExtended, I don't think we stop reading the files in
CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap. Am I missing something here?

Since, we also continue in CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap if we can't
parse/delete some files with the change of "could not parse
filename"/"could not remove file" messages to LOG level

I'm attaching v6, just changed elog(LOG, to ereport(LOG in
CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap, other things remain the same.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment