Re: Remove unused variable from SharedSort - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Remove unused variable from SharedSort
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 5:29 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> While going through the code I noticed that the nTapes member in
> SharedSort is unused.  This is just initialized with nworkers but
> never used.  The attached patch removes this variable.

We could have used that variable for an assert like
Assert(state->worker <= shared->nTapes) in worker_freeze_result_tape()
before accessing shared->tapes[state->worker] = output; as sometimes
state->worker is being set to -1. But, it seems like we reach
worker_freeze_result_tape(), only when  WORKER(state) is true. So, we
don't need that extra Assert and removing nTapes variable makes sense
to me.

Patch looks good to me. Regression tests make check and make
check-world ran successfully.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.