Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: add checkpoint stats of snapshot and mapping files of pg_logical dir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 2:15 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 06:48:43PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > Personally, I tend to agree with v4-0001 (option (4)) or v4-0002
> > (option (3)) than v4-0003 (option (1)) as it adds more unreadability
> > with most of the code duplicated creating more diff with previous
> > versions and maintainability problems. Having said that, I will leave
> > it to the committer to decide on that.
>
> I don't think v4-0003/option 1 needs to be unreadable.  Perhaps we can use
> a StringInfo to build the message.  That might be a net improvement in
> readability anyway.

Looks like we already use StringInfo in PerformAuthentication for
"connection" related log messages, see [1].

I will give it a try using StringInfo for the "checkpoint/restartpoint
complete" message too.

[1]
    if (Log_connections)
    {
        StringInfoData logmsg;

        initStringInfo(&logmsg);
        if (am_walsender)
            appendStringInfo(&logmsg, _("replication connection
authorized: user=%s"),
                             port->user_name);
        else
            appendStringInfo(&logmsg, _("connection authorized: user=%s"),
                             port->user_name);
        if (!am_walsender)
            appendStringInfo(&logmsg, _(" database=%s"), port->database_name);

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.