Re: pgsql: Add contrib/pg_walinspect. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: pgsql: Add contrib/pg_walinspect.
Date
Re: pgsql: Add contrib/pg_walinspect.  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 8:57 AM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 8:45 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> > I wrote:

> > > Oh!  Okay, I'll retry without that.
> >
> > I've now done several runs with your patch and not seen the test failure.
> > However, I think we ought to rethink this API a bit rather than just
> > apply the patch as-is.  Even if it were documented, relying on
> > errormsg = NULL to mean something doesn't seem like a great plan.
>
> Sorry for being late in the game, occupied with other stuff.
>
> How about using private_data of XLogReaderState for
> read_local_xlog_page_no_wait, something like this?
>
> typedef struct ReadLocalXLogPageNoWaitPrivate
> {
>     bool end_of_wal;
> } ReadLocalXLogPageNoWaitPrivate;
>
> In read_local_xlog_page_no_wait:
>
>             /* If asked, let's not wait for future WAL. */
>             if (!wait_for_wal)
>            {
>                 private_data->end_of_wal = true;
>                 break;
>            }
>
>     /*
>      * Opaque data for callbacks to use.  Not used by XLogReader.
>      */
>     void       *private_data;

I found an easy way to reproduce this consistently (I think on any server):

I basically generated huge WAL record (I used a fun extension that I
wrote - https://github.com/BRupireddy/pg_synthesize_wal, but one can
use pg_logical_emit_message as well)
session 1:
select * from pg_synthesize_wal_record(1*1024*1024); --> generate 1 MB
of WAL record first and make a note of the output lsn (lsn1)

session 2:
select * from pg_get_wal_records_info_till_end_of_wal(lsn1);
\watch 1

session 1:
select * from pg_synthesize_wal_record(1000*1024*1024);  --> generate
~1 GB of WAL record and we see ERROR:  could not read WAL at XXXXX in
session 2.

Delay the checkpoint (set checkpoint_timeout to 1hr) just not recycle
the wal files while we run pg_walinspect functions, no other changes
required from the default initdb settings on the server.

And, Thomas's patch fixes the issue.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.