Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: when the startup process doesn't (logging startup delays)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 12:42 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 2:22 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Duplication is a problem that I agree with and I have an idea here -
> > how about introducing a new function, say EnableStandbyMode() that
> > sets StandbyMode to true and disables the startup progress timeout,
> > something like the attached?
>
> That works for me, more or less. But I think that
> enable_startup_progress_timeout should be amended to either say if
> (log_startup_progress_interval == 0 || StandbyMode) return; or else it
> should at least Assert(!StandbyMode), so that we can't accidentally
> re-enable the timer after we shut it off.

Hm, an assertion may not help in typical production servers running on
non-assert builds. I've modified the if condition, please see the
attached v5 patch.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team