Re: Problem running "ALTER TABLE...", ALTER TABLE waiting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: Problem running "ALTER TABLE...", ALTER TABLE waiting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Brian McNally <bmcnally@uw.edu> writes:
>> Ok, I'm running with all available updates and kernel 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5
>> but am still having the same problem.
>
> It's fairly clearly blocked on a lock ... have you looked into the
> pg_locks view to see what is holding the lock?

There is a hidden part of the conversation. We have already checked
pg_locks and no locks were there. Moreover there were no other
activity except the ALTER. And this was the odd part.

> (I'm wondering about a prepared transaction, myself.  There isn't much
> else that could hold a lock across a server restart.)

Are not they shown by pg_locks?

Sergey Konoplev

a database architect, software developer at PostgreSQL-Consulting.com
http://www.postgresql-consulting.com

Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp Phone: +79160686204