Re: Window Function "Run Conditions" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhihong Yu
Subject Re: Window Function "Run Conditions"
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 7:11 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 19:01, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 15:41, Zhihong Yu <zyu@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> > +                * We must keep the original qual in place if there is a
> > +                * PARTITION BY clause as the top-level WindowAgg remains in
> > +                * pass-through mode and does nothing to filter out unwanted
> > +                * tuples.
> > +                */
> > +               *keep_original = false;
> >
> > The comment talks about keeping original qual but the assignment uses the value false.
> > Maybe the comment can be rephrased so that it matches the assignment.
>
> Thanks. I've just removed that comment locally now. You're right, it
> was out of date.

I've attached the updated patch with the fixed comment and a few other
comments reworded slightly.

I've also pgindented the patch.

Barring any objection, I'm planning to push this one in around 10 hours time.

David
Hi,

+   WINDOWAGG_PASSTHROUGH_STRICT    /* Pass-through plus don't store new
+                                    * tuples during spool */

I think the comment in code is illustrative:

+                    * STRICT pass-through mode is required for the top window
+                    * when there is a PARTITION BY clause.  Otherwise we must
+                    * ensure we store tuples that don't match the
+                    * runcondition so they're available to WindowAggs above.

If you think the above is too long where WINDOWAGG_PASSTHROUGH_STRICT is defined, maybe point to the longer version so that people can find that more easily.

Cheers