Re: Added schema level support for publication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vignesh C
Subject Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 3:29 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 3:25 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Attached v44 patch as the fixes for the same.
> >

> In the v44-0001 patch, I have some doubts about the condition guarding
> the following code in pg_get_publication_tables():
>
> + if (schemarelids)
> + {
> +    /*
> +     * If the publication publishes partition changes via their
> +     * respective root partitioned tables, we must exclude
> +     * partitions in favor of including the root partitioned
> +     * tables. Otherwise, the function could return both the child
> +     * and parent tables which could cause data of the child table
> +     * to be double-published on the subscriber side.
> +     *
> +     * XXX As of now, we do this when a publication has associated
> +     * schema or for all tables publication. See
> +     * GetAllTablesPublicationRelations().
> +     */
> +    tables = list_concat_unique_oid(relids, schemarelids);
> +    if (publication->pubviaroot)
> +       tables = filter_partitions(tables);
> + }
>
> Shouldn't a partition be filtered out only if publication->pubviaroot
> and the partition belongs to a schema (i.e. ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA)
> included in the publication?
> The current code seems to filter out partitions of partitioned tables
> included in the publication if ANY schemas are included as part of the
> publication (e.g. which could be a schema not including any
> partitioned tables or partitions).

I could reproduce the issue by using the following test:
--- Setup
create schema sch1;
create schema sch2;
create table sch1.tbl1 (a int) partition by range (a);
create table sch2.tbl1_part1 partition of sch1.tbl1 for values from (1) to (10);
create table sch2.tbl1_part2 partition of sch1.tbl1 for values from
(10) to (20);
create schema sch3;
create table sch3.t1(c1 int);

--- Publication
create publication pub1 for all tables in schema sch3, table
sch1.tbl1, table sch2.tbl1_part1 with ( publish_via_partition_root
=on);
insert into sch1.tbl1 values(1);
insert into sch1.tbl1 values(11);
insert into sch3.t1 values(1);