Re: Skipping schema changes in publication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vignesh C
Subject Re: Skipping schema changes in publication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:19 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 11:53 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The patch was not applying on top of HEAD because of the recent
> > > commits, attached patch is rebased on top of HEAD.
> >
> > The patch does not apply on top of HEAD because of the recent commit,
> > attached patch is rebased on top of HEAD.
> >
> > I have also included the implementation for skipping a few tables from
> > all tables publication, the 0002 patch has the implementation for the
> > same.
> > This feature is helpful for use cases where the user wants to
> > subscribe to all the changes except for the changes present in a few
> > tables.
> > Ex:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES SKIP TABLE t1,t2;
> > OR
> > ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD SKIP  TABLE t1,t2;
> >

> For the second syntax (Alter Publication ...), isn't it better to
> avoid using ADD? It looks odd to me because we are not adding anything
> in publication with this sytax.

I was thinking of the scenario where user initially creates the
publication for all tables:
CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES;

After that user decides to skip few tables ex: t1, t2
 ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD SKIP TABLE t1,t2;

I thought of supporting this syntax if incase user decides to add the
skipping of a few tables later.
Thoughts?

Regards,
Vignesh