Re: Added schema level support for publication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vignesh C
Subject Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 6:26 AM tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com
<tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 22, 2021 1:30 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for reporting this issue, this issue is fixed in the attached v13 patch.
> > I have changed relation name pg_publication_schema to
> > pg_publication_sch so that the names are in similar lines with
> > pg_publication_rel relation and similar changes were done for variable
> > names too.
>
> Thanks for your fixing. The issue is fixed as you said.
>
> After applying your V13 patch. I noticed that if I specify duplicate schema names when using "ALTER PUBLICATION ...
SETSCHEMA ...", I would get the following error message:

> postgres=# ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 SET SCHEMA s1,s1;
> ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_publication_sch_psnspcid_pspubid_index"
> DETAIL:  Key (psnspcid, pspubid)=(16406, 16405) already exists.
>
> I think the error message is pretty hard to understand. Maybe we can do sth to improve this scenario.
>
> Here is two proposal:
> 1. Don't report error message, just add some code to make the above command to be executed successfully,
>    just like "ALTER PUBLICATION ... SET TABLE ..." as follolws:
>
> postgres=# ALTER PUBLICATION pub2 SET TABLE t1,t1;
> ALTER PUBLICATION
> postgres=# \dRp+ pub2
>                                    Publication pub2
>   Owner   | All tables | Inserts | Updates | Deletes | Truncates | Via root | Pubtype
>  postgres | f          | t       | t       | t       | t         | f        | t
> Tables:
>     "public.t1"
>
> 2. Report a easily understandable message like: Schema s1 specified more than once

I have changed it to not report any error, this issue is fixed in the
v14 patch attached at [1].
[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm3DTj535ezfmm8QHLOtOkcHF2ZcCfSjfR%3DVbTbLZXFRsA%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Vignesh